Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Utini! It's a new Jawa pattern!


I've just finished my latest Star Wars pattern: Jawas, those cheeky little scavengers. They're only 3.5" tall but they're already causing trouble - they've stolen R2-D2 and now they're attempting to sell him back to me!


They're quite a simple design, though it wasn't easy come up with the right kind of eyes. They should be a glowing orange or yellow colour, but my skills don't extend to electronics so I stuck to orange safety eyes. I did think about using sequins, or some other shiny material, but I wanted them to match my other Star Wars amigurumis. To make the slightly transparent eyes show up a bit better I painted the backs with a pale colour enamel paint (I think acrylic might be safer with children, but I used what I had, and my children are too big to chew things now!). In real life they are a bright orange, but it's hard to capture that in a photo.



The pattern to make the Jawas is now available in my shop

11 comments:

tkdquintmom said...

I am so thrilled! I can't wait to stitch up a few of these guys! Awesome job! Can't wait to see what's next!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks! Jawas definitely look good if you make a few of them. One on its own looks a bit sad, you need a little clan really.

Taylor said...

Oh my goodness!!!! :D These are soooooo amazing! I love all your little characters. I really wish I knew how to crochet, I would totally make an ewok and a jawa and tons of other stuff :)You have inspired me to learn how to crochet:)I may try and make plushie patterns of the star wars characters that would be super cool :)You are super skilled :)From experience I know how hard it is to make patterns and yours are just completely adorable :)

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you Taylor! Do have a go at crochet, it's not too difficult to get started, and you can practice on some of my free patterns (see the list on the right).

Creative Chaos Art said...

Thank you for this, I made one last night!
http://creativechaosart.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/star-wars-jawa.html
Helen x

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks Helen! Your Jawa looks great and I love his eyes, the buttons really work well.

Creative Chaos Art said...

Thank you :)
Helen x

Anonymous said...

I saw some really cute owls that you made on Craftster. Have you written a pattern for them?

Jean

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi Jean,

Have you got a link for them? I have published one owl pattern (https://www.etsy.com/listing/94316165/pdf-of-flappy-owl-amigurumi-pattern) but I know I made some baby owls with eyelash yarns which I've never posted the pattern for.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,

The post in craftster is titled "How Bazaar! Mini Animals". I think the link is http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=337120.0. In your post you showed all the mini animals you made for the bazaar at your son's school: incy wincy elephants, teeny tiny turtles, little lucky pig, mini rabbits, mini monkey, mini sheep, teeny weeny frog, tiny owls, and weeny octopus. They are all SOOO cute and I think there are patterns for all of them except for the tiny owls. Jean

LucyRavenscar said...

I know which one you mean, it's very simple so I'll try and get the pattern up soon, although I've got a couple more free patterns that I'm working on at the moment. I should be able to post those soon, so I'll do the owl after that. I do have another small owl pattern here: http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/owl.html
That one uses safety eyes instead of crocheted ones and doesn't have the little wings.