Sunday 31 October 2010

Free Pattern: Tiny Rabbit Amigurumi

Here's a simple little pattern to crochet a tiny rabbit, about 2" long. You crochet the ears and the feet as you go along, so the only sewing is for the features and the tail.

(This pattern has been kindly translated into German by Steffi, you can find it on her blog)


Tiny Rabbit Amigurumi

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
st = stitch or stitches
ss = slipstitch
sc = single crochet (US), double crochet (UK)
dc = double crochet (US), treble crochet (UK)
tog = together
sc2tog = decrease by working two sc together
FO = fasten off

General instructions:
Work in rounds unless otherwise stated and do not join rounds unless told to. Use a stitch marker to mark the start of a round - a small piece of different coloured yarn placed under the stitch at the start of the round will do. To start a round, you can use the magic ring method, but I prefer (ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch). If you work the 6 sc over the tail of yarn as well you can use that to pull the hole tight.

Work through both loops of stitches unless otherwise indicated.

You will need:
Small amount of light brown yarn.
Small amount of white yarn.
Black yarn for features.
Small amount of stuffing.
3.5mm (E) hook.

Special stitch instructions:
4 dc pop: popcorn stitch for legs. Work 4 dc into 1 st, take hook out leaving loop, put hook through 1st dc & pull loop through.


Body:
Start at nose using light brown yarn.
Round 1: Ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 st.
Round 2: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st] 2 times – 8 st.
Round 3: Sc in each st around - 8 st.
Round 4: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 4 times – 12 st.
Round 5: Sc in next 4 st, [ear: ss in next st, ch 6, sc into 2nd ch from hook, dc in next 3 ch, sc in next ch, ss back into original st], sc in next 2 st, [ear: as before], sc in next 4 st – 12 st.
Round 6: Sc in each st around (work into the first ss of the ears, not the second) - 12 st.
Round 7: Sc in next 4 st, [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 3 times, sc in next 2 st – 15 st.
Round 8: Sc in next 4 st, [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st] 3 times, sc in next 2 st – 18 st.
Round 9: 4 dc pop in next st, sc in next st, 4 dc pop in next st, sc in next 15 st – 18 st.
Round 10 - 11: (2 rounds) Sc in each st around - 18 st.
Round 12: Sc in next 17 st, 4 dc pop in next st – 18 st.
Round 13: Sc in next 4 st, 4 dc pop in next st, sc in next 13 st – 18 st.
Round 14: Sc in each st around - 18 st.
Round 15: [Sc2tog, sc in next st] 6 times – 12 st.
Round 16: [Sc2tog] 6 times – 6 st.
FO, leaving a length of yarn.

Use black yarn to sew eyes, nose and mouth, stuff and use length of light brown yarn to sew up hole at bottom.

Tail:
Using white yarn.
Ch 3, work 6 dc into 1st ch, join to first dc with ss. FO leaving a length of yarn and sew to bottom. Use the length of white yarn to sew front teeth if you wish.

24 comments:

S. Chaffee said...

What a cute little guy! Thank you!

Erica said...

LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing this pattern! I have also been making cork knights like crazy lately.

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I think it looks even cuter in real life - it's hard to photograph something that small.

Erica - have you got an army yet? They look really cool all together.

Mindy said...

SO cute!!

http://im-in-the-loop.blogspot.com/

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

Adorable!

Just curious but are you planning on a grey Totoro pattern? I notice on your LJ that you have patterns for the white and blue Totoro but I'd love to make a complete set!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks!

I would like to make a grey Totoro, but perhaps not to scale with the others! The trouble is that other projects keep turning up, but I will try.

allsocute said...

so sweet :)

c1a2t345 said...

I made some of these over the Easter holiday and they are quite adorable. I did make some minor adjustments to the pattern and I uploaded pictures of them here: http://c1a2t345.deviantart.com/art/Tiny-Crochet-Rabbits-207528628

:)

LucyRavenscar said...

Your rabbits look really cute all together especially in their little basket!

Anonymous said...

Soo cute:) Thank you soooo much for pattern:D

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! Have fun making them.

Meg W said...

Just finished my adorable bunny!! But as I am new to crochet I was just wondering...what's the easiest way to sew on the face and tail? And do I do this before or after stuffing? Thanks!! Looking forward to making more creatures :)

LucyRavenscar said...

I must admit, embroidering features is often the hardest part of making an amigurumi. I would stuff the face, so you can see the shape better, then take the black yarn through the hole at the end. The bottom of the nose is in the middle of the first round, so that makes it easier to see where to sew. After you've done the face, finish stuffing, sew up the bottom, and then sew the tail on. If you want, you can use a bit of the white yarn to sew the teeth. I hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting pattern I just made one in white and now will make some more. I am going to tie a ribbon around their neck as Easter gifts .

LucyRavenscar said...

Cute! That sounds like a really good idea.

A66fordvan said...

I just made one and it is so cute! Thank you for this adorable pattern!

A66fordvan said...

I now have a herd!!! Thank you again!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks! I'd love to see them.

A66fordvan said...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626915033991367&set=a.368799289802944.110153.306224936060380&type=3&theater
I'm not sure how to do this, but maybe this will work. It's a pic on my FB page.

LucyRavenscar said...

Cute! I rather like the black one.

Kleinene said...

I really love your rabbit and I made just a lot of them. They multiply just, as we say, "like rabbits" ;o)
I would like to show some of them in my blog www.kleinene.de and I also would like to set a link to your page for the tutorial. Is that o.k. for you?
Greetings from Erlangen, Germany
Steffi

LucyRavenscar said...

That would be fine Steffi, I'd love to see them.

Kleinene said...

Hi Lucy,
it took me a little time (always so much to do)but here is the german translation of your pattern:
https://kleinene-er.blogspot.de/2018/03/ein-haschen-am-stuck-hakeln.html
Hope you like my little bunnys :o)
Springgreetings, Steffi

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you Steffi, your rabbits look really cute! I'll add a link to your translation to this post and to Ravelry.