Sunday 7 February 2010

Cork and Crochet: Gnomes


You will need:
Small amounts of yarn: for example red for hat, white for hair, blue for top, brown for trousers.
Black yarn for mouth.
A cork, approx 1.75" (4.5cm) long.
Black permanent marker pen (Sharpie).
4 mm (F) hook.


Abbreviations:
ch = chain
st = stitch or stitches
ss = slip stitch
sc = single crochet (US), double crochet (UK)
BLO = back loop only
FLO = front loop only
FO = fasten off

General instructions:
Work in rounds unless otherwise stated and do not join rounds unless told to. Use a stitch marker to mark the start of a round - a small piece of different coloured yarn placed under the stitch at the start of the round will do. To start a round, you can use the magic ring method, but I prefer (ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch). If you work the 6 sc over the tail of yarn as well you can use that to pull the hole tight.


Work through both loops of stitches unless otherwise indicated.


Start with hat colour yarn.
Round 1: Ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 sc.
Round 2: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc] 2 times - 8 sc.
Round 3: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] 2 times - 10 sc.
Round 4: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc] 2 times - 12 sc.
Round 5: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] 3 times – 15 sc.
Round 6 - 7: (2 rounds) Sc in each sc around - 15 sc.
Sc in next 8 sc, change to hair colour yarn, sc in next sc, then mark as start of round.
Round 8: Sc in each sc around - 15 sc.
Ch1, turn.
Row 1: Sc in next 10 sc, ch1, turn - 10 sc.
Row 2: Sc in next 10 sc, ch5.
Round 9: Sc into 1st sc of row 2, sc in next 9 sc, 5 sc over ch5 - 15 sc.
Round 10: Sc in next 2 sc, change to top colour yarn but carry the hair colour yarn under. Sc in next 8 sc, change to hair colour yarn.
Beard:
 Row 1: FLO Sc in next 5 sc, ch1, turn.
 Row 2: Miss 1st sc, sc in next 3 sc, ch1, turn.
 Row 3: Miss 1st sc, sc in next sc, ss in next sc. FO, leaving short length of yarn.

Pick up top colour yarn and continue Round 10 working in the back loops behind beard. Pull yarn through 1st back loop, yarn over hook and pull through. Sc in same back loop and each of next 4.
Round 11 - 12: (2 rounds) Sc in each sc around - 15 sc
Change to trouser colour yarn.
Round 13 - 14: (2 rounds) Sc in each sc around - 15 sc.
Ss in next sc, FO and weave in end.


Use yarn from beard to secure it to the body with a couple of stitches


Fit over cork and carefully draw face in the gap.


21 comments:

Angelica Bays, TygrLilies.blogspot.com said...

FOLLOW! FOLLOW! FOLLOW!!!
DUDE! I just wrote you up on my blog!
Sheck it ow', main. Hope it's cool wi'choo ;o)

http://www.tygrlilies.com/2010/02/craftster-cuties.html

Wheeeeeee!

LucyRavenscar said...

No worries, I shall come and check it out!

Molly said...

I just signed up to follow you also. Great blog you've got. You know where I am.

Crocheting My Best With My Worsted
http://crochetingmyworsted

marky said...

This is enough to motivate me to try to learn to crochet!! LOVE them!! marky

LucyRavenscar said...

That's good to hear marky! You won't regret it, there are so many fun things you can make.

Anonymous said...

Hello :) I'm looking for the pattern of the dog, it's so cute! Would you tell me please how to make it? :)
Thank you!
Verena

LucyRavenscar said...

The little animal in the photo is a rabbit, but you'd only have to shorten the ears to make it into a dog. I will try and put up the pattern in the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lucy,
Oh a rabbit, I'm very sorry :) Thought it was a dog with floppy ears! :))
That you very much! :))
Best wishes
Verena

Anonymous said...

Hello Lucy, if you want you can as well put the pattern on etsy, I'm happy to buy it! :)
Best wishes
Verena

LucyRavenscar said...

Verena, I've just put the free pattern up here: http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-pattern-tiny-rabbit-amigurumi.html

Have fun making it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! :)
Best wishes
Verena

Anonymous said...

how do you do row 9?! idont understanddd

Anonymous said...

im lost after row 2... please make a video tutorial!! please please pleasee

Anonymous said...

maybe she made a mistake.
love the pattern! very cute dear

LucyRavenscar said...

I'll try and help with the problems with round 9. The part where you work rows instead of rounds is to make the back of the head, and leave the face open so you can draw it on the cork. So, at the end of row 2 you've made a chain of 5. You join this to the other side of the gap by doing a sc into the first stitch or row 2, then sc into the next 9 st. To finish the round do 5 sc over the ch5 - it's easier than working into the ch.

I hope that helps, I'm afraid I can't do a video tutorial at the moment.

Nichole said...

Hello! I just added a link to this post to my blog, I hope that's alright. :)
Let me know if it's not ok and I'll remove it.

LucyRavenscar said...

That's fine, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me where you buy your corks I need to make a ton of the cork knights and can't find the right sized corks anywhere! tiffany@wiggs.us

LucyRavenscar said...

My corks just came out of wine bottles - I didn't drink loads myself but I picked them up from people who'd been saving them. I know you can get them from craft suppliers, but I live in the UK, so I can't recommend one anywhere else. Try searching for 'corks' or 'craft corks' and hopefully you'll find somewhere to buy them.

Anonymous said...

I've been on a roll making these the last couple of days and did an adaptation to make gnomes with long hair, too. Thought I'd share if anyone else was wanting the variation. Hopefully it makes some sense.
Make same through round8/row2
Alt round 9: SC in 1st sc of row 2. FLO SC in next 8 sc, ch 1, turn.
Row 1: miss 1st SC, SC in next 6 SC, ss in next sc. FO leaving short length of yarn to tack down hair.
Pick up shirt color to continue round 9. Pull up loop through 1st backlooop, yo and pull through. SC in same back loop and each of next 7. SC through both of next sc. 5 SC over ch 5 - 15 SC.
Round 10-11 (2 rounds) SC in each SC - 15
Change to trouser (or cont in same color to make a dress)
Round 12-13 (2 rounds) - SC in each SC - 15. SS in next sc, FO, weave in ends.
This finishes one round shorter than the original, so if you want the same height, go another round.
Thanks for such a fun pattern to use up all my quarantine corks ����

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks for that! I'll have to give it a try and see how it works.