Thursday 10 October 2019

Harry Potter Crochet - yarn used



My latest book of patterns, Harry Potter Crochet, has just been released in the US! It comes as part of a kit which includes the yarn to make Harry and Dobby, and a crochet hook shaped like Harry's wand. If you want to watch me opening up the kit, check out this video on YouTube.



To help in finding the right colours of yarn to make the characters, I've made a list of all the yarns I used, and the approximate amounts needed for each figure. I live in the UK, so that's where I get all my yarn from. I use double knitting (DK) weight yarn, equivalent to 3:light weight in the US, and 8 ply in Australia/NZ - there's a yarn thickness guide on Ravelry which is very helpful. (By the way, the yarn I used is not the same as the yarn in the kit. That isn't a particular brand, and was sourced by the publisher separately.)

If you can't get hold of the yarns listed below, you can at least look at them in an online store such as Wool Warehouse or LoveCrochet, which might help you find equivalents closer to home.

I used mostly Hayfield Bonus DK (HBDK) and Stylecraft Special DK (SSDK). Hayfield is a great yarn for making amigurumi (toys worked in the round) as it's quite sturdy and doesn't get squashed by working tightly, which you have to do when you're crocheting like this. Stylecraft is a little lighter and works better for clothes (when you're not working so tightly) as it gives a little bit more drape at this very small scale. I also used it for some hair, but not Hagrid's, as it wasn't very easy to brush out.

Harry Potter
5g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
5g mid grey yarn - HBDK Silver Grey (838).
5g dark grey yarn - HBDK Dark Grey Mix (790).
5g black yarn - HBDK Black (965).
5g dark brown yarn - SSDK Dark Brown (1004).
Small amount of white yarn - HBDK White (961).
Small amount of maroon yarn - HBDK Claret (841).
Small amount of yellow yarn - HBDK Sunflower (978).

Hermione Granger
10g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
5g mid grey yarn - HBDK Silver Grey (838).
5g dark grey yarn - HBDK Dark Grey Mix (790).
5g black yarn - HBDK Black (965).
10g  light brown yarn - yarn used now unavailable, try HBDK Walnut (927) or Stylecraft Life DK Bark (2448).
Small amount of white yarn - HBDK White (961).
Small amount of maroon yarn - HBDK Claret (841).
Small amount of yellow yarn - HBDK Sunflower (978).

Ron Weasley
All the same as Harry, apart from yarn for hair:
5g russet yarn - SSDK Copper (1029).

Student robe and Scarf Pattern
10g black yarn - SSDK Black (1002).
5g maroon yarn - HBDK Claret (841).
5g yellow yarn - HBDK Sunflower (978).

Dobby
15g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
10g mid grey yarn - HBDK Silver Grey (838).
Small amount of black yarn - HBDK Black (965).

Rubeus Hagrid
15g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
10g medium brown yarn - HBDK Chocolate (947).
10g maroon yarn - HBDK Claret (841).
10g black yarn - HBDK Black (965).
25g dark brown yarn - Robin DK Brown (51).
25g light brown yarn - yarn used now unavailable, try HBDK Walnut (927) or Stylecraft Life DK Bark (2448).
Small amount of silver grey yarn (for belt buckle) - HBDK Silver Grey (838).
Small amount of beige yarn (for buttons) - HBDK Walnut (927).

Norbert The Dragon
25g green yarn - HBDK Orchard (904).

Albus Dumbledore
10g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
20g purple yarn - HBDK Velvet Plum (906).
20g magenta yarn - SSDK Plum (1061).
5g black yarn - SSDK Black (1002).
10g white yarn - HBDK White (961).

Minerva McGonagall
10g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
30g black yarn - HBDK Black (965).
15g dark green yarn - SSDK Bottle (1009).
10g beige yarn - HBDK Walnut (927).

Sorting Hat
15g medium brown yarn - HBDK Chocolate (947).
Small amount of black yarn - HBDK Black (965).

Voldemort
10g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
35g black yarn - HBDK Black (965) for body (optional 15g SSDK Black (1002) for the robe only).

Severus Snape
10g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
20g dark blue yarn - HBDK Navy (971).
10g black yarn - HBDK Black (965).
Small amount of white yarn- HBDK White (961).

Ginny Weasley
5g pale peach yarn - HBDK Flesh Tone (963).
5g red yarn - HBDK Classic Red (833).
5g medium brown yarn - HBDK Chocolate (947).
5g black yarn - HBDK Black (965).
10g russet yarn - SSDK Copper (1029).
Small amount of yellow yarn - HBDK Sunflower (978).

Broomstick
2g light brown yarn - yarn used now unavailable, try Robin Mink (0143) or Stylecraft Life DK Bark (2448).
Small amount of beige yarn - HBDK Walnut (927).
Small amount of grey yarn - HBDK Silver Grey (838).

Hedwig
10g white yarn - HBDK White (961).
Small amount of black yarn - HBDK Black (965).

*Edited to add errata:
Unfortunately the instructions for a 2 dc bob and a 3 dc bob (bobble stitches) were missed out of the book. Here they are:
2 dc bob: YOH (yarn over hook), insert hook into next stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops, YOH, insert hook into same stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops, YOH, pull through all 3 loops on hook.

3 dc bob: YOH (yarn over hook), insert hook into next stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops, *YOH, insert hook into same stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops, repeat once from*, YOH, pull through all 4 loops on hook.

Rubeus Hagrid pattern, p38. Just before instructions to make the left leg it should read "First, to split the body in half, find the front middle of your figure between two stitches on round 40", not round 35.
To make a foot, p39, it should say 'find the stitch in round 52 that is in the front middle.', not round 47.

Harry's hair, p21, Row 12 should read 'sc in next 16 st, ch 1, turn - 16 st.'

Minerva McGonagall:
Arms, p54, Rnd 2 should read '[2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 3 times - 9 st.'
Robe, p55, Rows 12 - 14 should read '(3 rows) sc in next 26 st, ch 1, turn - 26 st.'

Voldemort, robe, p63, Rows 12 - 14 should read '(3 rows) sc in next 26 st, ch 1, turn - 26 st.'





55 comments:

Unknown said...

Miss Lucy,

I just received your crochet Harry Potter kit as a gift for Christmas. I am really excited to try amigurumi for the first time, however, I am a left handed crocheter. I know from making other items such as dresses, that left handers have to sometimes do things a little differently. Can you make suggestions for what will be different for me or where I could find that information?

Anonymous said...

Hello! I got your Harry Potter kit as a Christmas gift and I've never croched before so I'm really lost�� can you please make some video tutorials on how to do the characters? It would help a lot, thank you for your time!

Diane said...

My daughter got the Harry Potter kit for christmas and has started her first amigurumi. Can you let me know where I can get more eyes that come with the kit? There are only 2 sets and we would like to make more characters.
Thank you for creating such a lovely project kit.

LucyRavenscar said...

In reply to a few questions:
I don't think that crocheting left-handed makes any difference when making amigurumi. However, I know that June Gilbank does a lot of good tutorials on her website for both right- and left-handed crocheters, which may help: https://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/crochet-tutorials/

I'm afraid I can't do video tutorials for the Harry Potter patterns as the publisher of the book owns the rights to the patterns. I do have a post showing how to start working in the round (http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/2018/02/making-amigurumi-starting-first-round.html) and the link above will lead you to some general tutorials for making amigurumi.

Here's a guide to where to find safety eyes: https://www.planetjune.com/blog/amigurumi-help/eye-sources/

Anonymous said...

Hi
I am busy making all these figures, but cannot find an explanation for the abbreviation ‘BOB’
I have invented something, but please can you explain what you mean?
Thanks
Fiona

MARIA said...

Hello, my name is María and I am Spanish. I want to know how to buy the crochet Harry Potter kit, thanks. It's for muy daughter.🥰🥰

MARIA said...

MARIA19 February 2020 at 13:02

Hello, my name is María and I am Spanish. I want to know how to buy the crochet Harry Potter kit, thanks. It's for my daughter.

The Literacy Classroom said...

Hi Lucy, i have loved making Harry Potter from the kit and can't wait to make the rest of the characters in the book. I was absolutely delighted to find all the yarn details on your blog and my local knitting shop stocks Hayfield Bonus. I was just wondering what size hook do you use witb Hayfield Bonus?
Thanks Alison

LucyRavenscar said...

Fiona: the abbreviation bob stands for bobble stitch. Unfortunately the instructions for this were missed out from the book, so I have included them in the post above.

Maria: the Harry Potter kit should be available on Amazon.

Alison: I use a 3.5mm hook with DK yarn when I'm making the figures, I sometimes use a 4mm hook for some of the separate clothes. This is always noted in the patterns.

ChrisHook17 said...

Hi Lucy, I'm very kind of your 2 books star wars yarn and Harry Potter Yarn, would you tell me how to purchase them ?
Thanks a lot
Chris

LucyRavenscar said...

Chris, it depends on where you live. I would suggest looking online to see if they're available in your area.

Unknown said...

I got 2 sets of the Harry Potter crochet. One for each grandchild. I decide to make one set myself and then found out that I ran out of the dark gray before I could finish the second leg on Harry. So I switched to making the arms. I ran out of yarn on the second arm , which was the medium gray. Both medium gray and dark gray came in a small bow tie shape. I a mad about not being provided enough. I am an experienced crafter and did not mess up on the instructions . How can I get more of these colors.?

LucyRavenscar said...

Contact the publisher (the details are on the inside of the first page), they may be able to send you more yarn.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your list of yarns, most of which are still available. I am curious as to the size of eyes you suggest. Thanks

LucyRavenscar said...

Each pattern in the book lists the size of eye you need. Here's a list of suppliers of safety eyes on the Planet June website if you need help finding them:www.planetjune.com/eyesources

Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed that both the boys's and the girl's hair seem to be missing at least one row? When made with the same tension as the head, the hairpieces seem comically closer to yarmulkes in their finally appearance. :) And, notably, much, much smaller than the pictured example in the book---in the picture, Hermione's curls reach nearly the base of her skirt, yet mine barely even touch her collar...

Unknown said...

Not only was there not quite enough yarn for the second leg, there was in no way enough yarn for Harry's hair. When done with an E hook, it fit, but did not make it through the second last row. When done with a D hook, the hair is small for the head, and still only ha about 2 inches with which to sew it to the head.

LucyRavenscar said...

If you find you don't have enough yarn, contact the publisher (the details are on the inside of the first page), they may be able to send you more.

Jessica Penquite said...

Hello there, I was wandering where you purchased dobbys and hedwigs eyes? I have googled and went on ebay. Nothing.

LucyRavenscar said...

I got my eyes from Craftbits: https://www.craftbits.co.uk/index.html
Here's a list of where to get safety eyes around the world: www.planetjune.com/eyesources

Mogwaimynx said...

Omg yes!! Thought it was just me... Also Hagrids coat is way too small, think it should have been dc not sc?!

LucyRavenscar said...

Any parts that are not stuffed (hair and clothes) you may need to work a little looser than you do when you're making the main body parts (which need to be stuffed). Clothes would end up very stiff is worked too tight, and would obviously be too small, so loosen the tension when making those. All parts of the figures are tested, so they do work, but differences in tension, and the exact thickness of different yarns, can cause variations.

suzthejeweler said...

I just found your page right now. My order from LoveCrafts arrived Monday (I too ran out of yarn and all my stores locally do not carry tons of dk yarn). Nor do they have 7.5 mm eyes, so I'll look at the link you suggested. I'm a big fan of your work!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks!

Hermans said...

I did add a row of 18 more 2BOB on Hermione’s hair and crocheted with less tension and it fit much better. I will probably consider that with the guys as well.

Unknown said...

I'm an English crocheter (is there such a word?) living in the US, and I'm wondering if some of the issues with sizes and running out of yarn may be a UK/US thing? For example, Lucy, are you using a 3.5mm yarn (wool) hook or a 3.5mm thread (steel, not aluminum) hook? Although they should be the same (since they are both 3.5mm) in fact they are not at all! Also, some people may not realize that there's a difference in terminology between UK/Aus and US crochet--an American single crochet would be a UK double crochet, an American double crochet would be a UK treble and so on.
Either or both of these issues could lead people up the garden path to frustration if unaware. Just saying!!
Love your kits--they're definitely on my Christmas list!

LucyRavenscar said...

Good points. I use a 3.5mm yarn hook. I'm in the UK but I've always written my patterns using US crochet terms since it was online patterns that I initially used to learn how to make amigurumi. However, some of the books have been published in the UK and 'translated' into UK terms, so you need to know what you're looking at before you start crocheting! A simple tip is to look at the most commmon stitch. In amigurumi patterns that will be a US single crochet (sc) or a UK double crochet (dc).

I find Ravelry is a great place to find out about differences in hooks and yarns in other countries, if you look at the details of a pattern you can find out what the equivalent hooks and yarns will be.

Unknown said...

Lucy, I received the kit for Christmas and just complete Harry with robe. Next is Dumbledore, I’m so glad you mentioned the 2dc bob, I looked it up online and found a quick tutorial. I’m new to crocheting (it’s been my quarantine skill to learn). I look forward to doing the other HP patterns and then moving to Star Wars. Cheers from Manchester, New Hampshire, USA!!

Sambas said...

I love this book! I made Harry, dobby, Dumbledore, and 2 dragons. Had some difficulty finding the right yarn for the flesh (Dumbledore) but finally did. I attempted to make a castle for them to live in but that was a disappointment 😆 my son loves them and I will eventually make them all!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks! I'm so glad you're enjoying making the patterns.

Anonymous said...

Are the steps for Hermione's hair a misprint? It looks nothing like the photo, and has only five steps (one being the curls), whereas the boys hair has 14 steps.

LucyRavenscar said...

The pattern for Hermione's hair is correct. It is constructed very differently from the boys' hair, and is made up of a lot of bobble stitches, which are larger than single crochet, and the whole of round 5 makes all the long strands of hair at the bottom. If you find it is not coming out large enough, try working more loosely.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! So helpful, and worked perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy, I received your kit for Christmas and am really enjoying making Dobby. I'm a beginner and struggling with the FLO section for the bottom of Dobby's pillow case. I know you can't post videos from an answer below, but do you have a post or video I can refer to? Am I correct in bringing the yarn from the top, inside and down the pillow case to round 5 where the front loops are and bringing it through to the do front loop stitches?
Thanks for any help in advance!
Laura

LucyRavenscar said...

Sorry, I only just saw your message. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but you fasten off after round 9, and cut the grey yarn. When you do round P1, you join the end of the rest of the yarn into the first front loop remaining from round 5. To join the yarn put your hook through the loop and pull the new yarn through. Yarn over hook and pull through loop on hook. Tighten. When you start the round, sc into the same stitch.

Diane T said...

Lucy; Help. My grandson asked me to Please make him the Harry Potter kit, so I've been teaching myself to crochet and Harry's hair has me stymied. Rnd 5: [2 sc in next st, (spike st over next st, sc in next st ) 3 times, spike st over next st] 3 times - 27 st. I'm a beginner doing my best, but I'm stuck on the [ with () between] I can't find any explanation about parenthesize inside of parenthesize.

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi, where it has brackets (what we Brits call parentheses!), you do what it says inside the bracket and where it says '3 times' afterwards, you do it 3 times. So, start at the beginning, do the section in the round brackets three times, do the part at the end, then go back to the beginning and do all of that two more times.
You can expand what it says for round 5 like so:
Rnd 5: 2 sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, 2 sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, 2 sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st, sc in next st, spike st over next st - 27 st

LucyRavenscar said...

Also, if you haven't already, read all of this post as it mentions any mistakes in the book, including one to do with Harry's hair.

Diane Turner said...

Lucy thank you soooo much for the help on Rnd 5. Would you bear with me and please explain Rnd 7 also. I promise I won't bug you again. Having 2 examples explained will go a long way to helping me decipher anything else I'm struggling with. Guess I should have started with something easier, but you how it is when the granddarlings ask.

Diane Turner

LucyRavenscar said...

With round 7 you're just alternating doing a spike st then a sc all the way around for 27 st, ending in a spike st. After that you're going to be working in rows (back and forth) rather than rounds, so you chain 1 and turn to go into the next row. Hope that makes sense!

Diane Turner said...

Lucy, thank you again for your help. I did go back and read all the blogs about Harry and Dobbie and the hair and legs. Appreciate you.

Diane Turner said...

Girl, thank you for your patience.

LucyRavenscar said...

No problem! Feel free to ask again if you have any more questions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy, I'm confused about how to do End 2 in Hermione's hair, could you help please
Thank you very much

Anonymous said...

*Rnd

LucyRavenscar said...

If you've looked at the errata listed above, you'll see that the description for how to make a 2 dc bob was missed out of the book, so check the details at the end of this blog post. You want to do 2 of those stitches in each one of the 6 stitches from round 1, so that you end up with 12 stitches. Don't work too tightly, bobble stitches are quite large and you won't be able to fit them in if you don't work a bit more loosely (and the hair won't fit on Hermione's head).

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m having the same issue. Not enough yarn.

LucyRavenscar said...

If you find that there's not enough yarn to complete the figures in the kit, you should contact the publisher (Thunder Bay Press) - their details are opposite the contents page.

Carl Harmon said...

Dear miss Lucy,I purchased a few of your crochet kits and am looking forward to learning to crochet.just one question,where can I find the correct yarns for the projects?

LucyRavenscar said...

Hopefully, this post gives you all the information about the yarns I used, including a couple of UK online stores that stock them. You could also try to look for them in other online yarn stores located nearer to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. For round 53: wondering if the 3dc bob stitch would be secured at all? I see that they are usually secured with a single crochet after the bobble, or a chain, in most patterns, but nothing is specified here.

Anonymous said...

Round 53 for Hagrid btw

LucyRavenscar said...

No, there's no sc or chain after the bobble stitches. That probably makes each one stick out a bit more, but here we want them all to form the shape of the foot, so they don't need to be separated from each other.

Anonymous said...

That makes sense. Thank you!