Friday 12 June 2009

Dandelion Dragon

I've been thinking vaguely about making some kind of Chinese dragon for a while now. I like their sinuous bodies and the fact that they're usually seen as good-natured rather than fierce. I decided I wanted to make one that was sitting up, so it would seem curious and not so active. This is what I came up with.
I gave him a ruff, which, particularly with addition of horns, gave the impression of venerable white hair and a beard. That made me think of him as a very old, peaceful dragon. I imagine that he moves slowly about the garden, bending his long neck to peer at all the plants and contemplating the world.


I like that Chinese dragons often seem furry rather than scaly, so I gave him a soft, fuzzy mohair spine frill.


I'm very fond of his face and pleased at how it came out, it seems quite youthful and innocent (maybe it's those big blue eyes), but I still feel he's been around for a long time.

10 comments:

Aimee said...

This is absolutely amazing, and so beautifully done! I found your blog from Craftster and am so impressed I'll be adding it to my blogroll.

LillyShayStyle said...

He's adorable! I agree, he looks to have a beard, but it suits him :)

Anonymous said...

I love this, so cute!! I like the fluffy look you gave him too.

Katilyn Petri said...

Let me buy it! Seriously, send me an email.
Katie.babyy@live.com

Anonymous said...

I think that the Dandelion Dragon is really cute where can I get the pattern? yespinaly@aol.com

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I've haven't written the pattern up yet, but it's on my list of things to do, and I will try to get it done soon.

Anna said...

WOW!! I must say I have been visiting several amigurumi sites because I want to start some of my own and this Dandelion Dragon is just the best creature I have found!! Congratulations!! Whenever I reach this crafty level I would like use yours as a model, May I??

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I'm pleased that you are inspired by my work.

Unknown said...

This one is so cool. It reminds me of The Dark Crystal movie. Love it.

LucyRavenscar said...

High praise, that's one of my all-time favourite films!