Friday 29 November 2019

Baby Yoda

So, who's watching the new Star Wars series, The Mandalorian? Not me unfortunately, because it's not available in the UK, but without even looking for spoilers I can't help but see images of the adorable baby Yoda that features in the show. It's not actually Yoda as a baby, but a member of his species, which doesn't have a name. The first thing I noticed when I looked at pictures of the cute little baby was that it looked a lot like my mini amigurumi of Yoda which appears in the Star Wars Crochet Kit and which is a small and very simplified version of Yoda.


So, I decided to try adapting that pattern a little to make it more like the baby in the show. If you have the Star Wars Crochet Kit then you can use these variations and make yourself your own tiny Baby Yoda. (Please note, I'm using US stitch names).

Follow the instructions to make the Head and Body as they are in the book, but use 9mm safety eyes for that big-eyed baby look.
After making the head change to dark beige yarn for the body on round 11.
When you get to round 20 don't change to green yarn and don't make the feet, just work 27 sc around.

Baby Yoda's ears are proportionally larger, so make them as follows:
Rnd 1: ch 2, work 6 sc into first ch - 6 st.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around - 12 st.
Rnd 3: 2 sc in each of next 2 st, (hdc, dc) in next st, ch 1, (dc, hdc) in next st, ss in next st - end round here and FO.
Follow the rest of the instructions in the book to shape and attach the ears.


Start making the arms as described in the book, then after round 2 change to light beige yarn and work 6 x 2dc bobbles around. Change to dark beige yarn and work rounds 3 - 6 as in the book, miss round 7 and work round 8 as described.

To make the cowl neck collar using light beige yarn:
Ch 26.
Row 1: miss ch next to hook, sc in next 25 ch, ch 1, turn.
Row 2: sc in next 25 st, ch 1, turn.
Row 3: sc in next 25 st, FO.
Pin around the neck and top of the arms with the starting chain at the top. Overlap at the front as shown then sew in place. Fold over and secure the front with a couple of stitches.



I hope you enjoy making your own little Baby Yoda!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you! I love it and look forward to making him. I have
made all of your characters from both of your Star Wars
pattern books.

Jeremy Berman said...

Yay, I was hoping you'd make this! Did you leave out how to make his body narrow and close at the bottom? I see where you say to sc around for round 20, but I don't see any instructions after that.

Thanks!

Teressa Daly said...

Rows 21-23 in the original Yoda pattern will close up the bottom of the body! I was wondering the same thing but I’m making him now and that worked fine.

Roz said...

I love this, just the finishing touches to make on my original Yoda and this is definitely going on my to do list 😍

Debs said...

Just finished mine, he’s adorable, thanks so much for this!

tinamfoster said...

Lucy-where do I find the book/pattern for the baby Yoda? Thanks.

stephvel said...

Hi could you please tell me how large the finished amigurri is

In My Pajamas said...

I bought and made all your star wars patterns back in 2012, I have been on a large baby yoda kick, so pulling up the old pattern for the mods. Thanks!!

LucyRavenscar said...

In reply to a few queries - you do need the original pattern in the Star Wars Crochet book/kit to work from, I've only noted the differences to make baby Yoda.

Depending on where you live you may be able to find Star Wars Crochet in online bookstores.

Baby Yoda will be about 2.5"/6.5cm tall, depending on the yarn you use.

Deb said...

What weight yarn do you use for the 2.5" baby?

Terrie Jennings said...

What size hook did u use please

caroline!!!!! said...

ADORABLE!!!
Caroline

LucyRavenscar said...

I apologise for not replying to the last few messages - Blogger is not sending me notifications of new messages any more. I think I've sorted that, but if you leave a message on here and you don't get a reply you can contact me via Etsy messages (https://www.etsy.com/shop/lucyravenscar) or Ravelry (https://www.ravelry.com/designers/lucy-collin-2).

This Baby Yoda is made with DK weight yarn and 3.5mm hook.

Unknown said...

Hi Lucy!
I have just started crocheting. Have seen your amazing star wars characters. Trying to get your crochet kits, but do not know where. They do not seem to be available in Sweden and abroad, it seems that it is sold out. Do you have any tips?

Sussi

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi Sussi,
The publisher does sometimes do reprints, but I don't know if they're intending to do any soon. It might be worth contacting the publisher to say that you're interested (www.beckermayer.com).

Anonymous said...

For the head and what is the book I use

LucyRavenscar said...

The basic Yoda pattern is in Star Wars Crochet, but I have more recently done another book, The Mandalorian Crochet, which includes 2 patterns for Grogu/Baby Yoda (one this size and a smaller one).

gran9767 said...

I luv yr Baby Yoda partial pattern u hv on yr blog - my granddaughter wud luv this ( I do too really - sooo cute!) u mention in one of yr replies that pattern is found in book Mandalorian Crochet - how do I get a copy of this book so I can make this Baby Yoda - do not see (maybe I am just blind) where it states anywhere - I went to yr Etsy page but do not see Baby Yoda pattern any help u can give me wud be appreciated. Many tks.
Helen

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi Helen, in my book 'Star Wars Crochet' there's a Yoda pattern, and you can use the details in this post to alter it to be like a Baby Yoda. Also, in 'The Mandalorian Crochet' book there are two Baby Yoda (Grogu) patterns, one about this size and a smaller one. I'm afraid I can't sell the patterns separately because they're owned by the publisher.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Can we buy this baby yoda pattern from you? Either direct or on Etsy (couldn't find it on there). I can't find your book for the base pattern, and to be honest, I'm not interested in buying an entire kit and book of other characters I have no desire to make .... I'm just interested in the baby yoda pattern :)

LucyRavenscar said...

The Yoda pattern (and the two Baby Yoda patterns in The Mandalorian Crochet book) belongs to the publisher, so I can't sell it myself, I'm afraid.