Thursday, 18 February 2010

Star Wars Mini Amigurumi


Well, I've finally done it! I've designed all my Star Wars amigurumi to my satisfaction, written up the patterns, photographed them, put the patterns together and put them all on Etsy!


I've been working on these little Star Wars guys on and off for a couple of years. Partly inspired by my and my children's love of Star Wars, and the way Star Wars Lego looks so cute, I realised that I wanted to crochet mini versions of all my favourite characters. It's taken so long because of wanting to keep them stylistically similar even though the characters are very varied. I also wanted them to be different sizes, so that Leia is taller than R2-D2, and Vader is taller than Han, for example, but not perfectly proportionally, or Chewie ends up being too tall. As it is, Yoda is 2.5" tall and Chewbacca is 4.5" tall, with the rest fitting in between them.


I made Yoda first, he's pretty simple and easily identifiable, then Leia (my favourite character, the one I identify with) whose iconic hairstyle is perfectly suited to be reproduced in crochet. Neither of these two had legs, Yoda with his robe and Leia her dress, so when it came to most of the other characters I wasn't sure how to make them. I knew I wanted them to have big feet, and to stand up easily, and so I made them without separate legs, but simply defined them with yarn afterwards, a solution which I'm really happy with.


Some of them took longer than others to perfect. I wasn't sure if C-3PO would work, but I was happy with him straight away. Vader, on the other hand, I just couldn't get right. His head, his face mask, how much detail to give him. Since his costume is almost entirely black it's very hard to define any details. I made him several times with a flat triangular mask and it wasn't until I made it more three-dimensional that I was satisfied.


The Ewok was tough, too. I made him in a completely different way with his hood as part of his head, which I thought I liked, but when I came to write the pattern up it just seemed too unnecessarily complicated. since I'd just been making my crocheted cork knights I realised I could use a similar technique to make a simple separate hood, which I much preferred.


Apart from fine-tuning his height, I liked my Chewbacca, which I made with an alpaca mix yarn then brushed, but I realised that finding that particular type of yarn might be difficult. So I also made him using a normal smooth acrylic yarn that had various different browns in it and which brushed up just as nicely with a wire pet brush.


Anyway, I'm very happy with the finished patterns. If they prove to be popular I'll have to work on some more characters - I think I'll do Boba Fett and Obi Wan next. If you want to see more photos, check out my Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96575205@N00/), and if you'd like to buy any of the patterns just go to my Etsy shop (http://www.lucyravenscar.etsy.com/).


***Latest news July 2014***
 
Not all these patterns are available for sale now, as they are going to be included in a new Star Wars crochet book, due to be published Spring 2015.

 
 

43 comments:

Angelica Bays, TygrLilies.com said...

SQUEE!!!
OMG, I've just gotta share this too!
LinkyLinkyLink!!

Crochet Christy said...

I *love* these! Within minutes of seeing this, my very new boyfriend texted me: "Any way I could convince you to make me a wookie for my desk at work?" So thank you! :)

Sonja said...

These are amazing! I made my boys a Yoda a few years ago, but he was no where near this good. You are one talented crochet-er!

Maggie said...

Hi Lucy, I would like to give you the Sunshine Award, your work is such an inspiration to me. Never put down your hook woman. You can collect the award from my blog :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Just what I am looking for. I plan to buy the patterns and make these for my boys for their Easter Baskets.

lauren said...

I LOVE these...maybe now I will be inspired to learn to crochet!

crafty_one said...

these are amazing! you have definitely brought joy to crocheting star wars fans (like me!!)

jacqueline said...

Wow! These are absolutely wonderful. They combine a love of, well, everything I love! Thank you so very much for these.

~j.b.

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous! :)

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys! I'm really pleased you like them.

Kiddy said...

Oh my God, you are AWESOME!!! (I am a very beginner crocheter and i just found your fierce but friendly really dragon and i love it!)

Small Burst said...

these are just so awesome! LOVE it!

Acid said...

i'm from brasil... how can i buy it?

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi Acid,

I am only selling the patterns (instructions on how to crochet), not the figures themselves. I sell the patterns on Etsy (http://www.lucyravenscar.etsy.com) and I send them out as PDF attachments via email.

I hope that helps!

Whitney said...

Aaaahh... ewoks were always my favorite. Love your work. :)

I chose your blog for the Sunshine Blog Award... you can check it out and the other nominees on my blog: the crochet café

Jenny said...

Hi Lucy!

These look absolutely amazing!!! :D LOVE the Ewok!!! :)

~ Jenny

Victoria said...

These are amazing.

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

It is a shame you don't make and sell the figures... rtaher than just the patterns! I, and clearly alot of other people would be really interested in the complete set for my little boy.... Is there any chance, as clearly I don't crochet :)

S said...

I just bought a copy of the Darth Vadar and R2D2 patterns to make for my OH :-) I love them!!!!!!

The Sitting Tree said...

OMG!! These are the most fantastic little crochet creatures I have ever seen. I love the Ewok!!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks! Have fun making them S!

Sorry Anonymous, at the moment I'm working on various other patterns and I'm afraid I just don't have time to sit and make lots of figures. Why not try to learn to crochet? You really only need a hook and a ball of yarn to get started, there are lots of good websites that will teach you and free patterns to practice on.

Joëlle GRES said...

Hello,
Magnificent realization, I like and my son who is a fanatic of Star Wars also likes your creations. I put a link on my blog for your site.
Friendly Joëlle

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

i love them!!! <3<3<3

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks!

pigeon said...

these are really awesome. love your blog!

shadow said...

really good job.

Natalie said...

*happy dance* These are fantastic and I love crocheting! Looks like I'll get to learn some new tricks! You are awesome!

mlzhuff said...

I LOVE THESE! As soon as I saw them and showed them to my daughter she immediately fell in love with them too. These would just be perfect for my kids!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you guys! I've started working on a new set of patterns - the first one is Boba Fett and his pattern is now for sale in my Etsy shop.

rosiiie said...

These are fantastic, my nephew is going to love these. THANK YOU

Matyko said...

Stunning! I will do my entire Xmas shopping from your shop @ etsy.. Actually I just made an order :))

recon2starwars said...

can't they be free?? i'm only 13 and my parents won't let me buy the patterns.

LucyRavenscar said...

I do have a free pattern for a different version of Wicket the Ewok - look at the list of my free patterns to the right of this page and you'll see it there.

madhatterex said...

Just found these, but I can't locate the patterns...my 30-something sons would love these! How do I purchase the patterns? How much are they?

LucyRavenscar said...

I sell all the patterns, including two newer ones (Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi) in my Etsy shop:
http://www.lucyravenscar.etsy.com

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've just got back from a holiday.

Alejandra said...

they look so cute! specially The Ewok ♥ congrats!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you!

Melanie said...

Lucy,
These are marvellous! Very creative and well-executed. Lovely work.
Melanie

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks Melanie!

Julia Nyanyo said...

HI, I love these, found them on pinterest and repinned, but when I checked the source it didn't come back to you. (I'm new to pinterest) I just goggled to find this page.
Anyway, I've added this url to my pin, I just wanted to check you are ok with that. If there is somewhere more direct I can pin from I'll delete & repin. Just to repeat, I LOVE these!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks Julia, I'm so glad you like them! I know what you mean about Pinterest, sometimes the photos link back to the original image but other times they don't. This is my main blog, and I sell the patterns on Etsy (www.lucyravenscar.etsy.com), so either is good to link to. I've just taken a few more photos of my Star Wars characters to include the newer patterns as well, you can see some of them on Etsy and on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96575205@N00/).