Monday 1 February 2010

Dusk and Hedgerow Spirits

Over the last few months, whenever I've been going somewhere I might have a bit of spare time to crochet (like visiting relatives for a few days), I've taken a bag with an interesting furry yarn, a couple of contrasting yarns and my faithful 3.5mm hook. I take my scribbled notes for a creature I've made before (it's too awkward to make up an entirely new pattern and make notes when I'm on the go) and make a different version.



Here are the two creatures that I made: a Dusk Spirit and a Hedgerow Spirit. I made them then decided what they were once they were completed.



The little Hedgerow Spirit reminds me of the colour your fingers go when you pick blackberries, and the fur around his face looks a bit like Old Man's Beard, so I felt that he belonged in the hedgerows. He lives there and looks after the all the small creatures that live there too, with his horns helping him push through the undergrowth.



The Dusk Spirit matches my Dawn spirit (appropriately enough! See a picture of her here: http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/2009/07/earth-spirits.html). The colour of her fur seemed right for that time of day, and her face seemed very calm. Since dusk is when many animals feel safe to feed, I think of it as a quiet safe, time, and it seemed right that she would be their guardian.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man! I really love your work - saw your posts on Craftster (I'm Chuggypig there) and followed your blog link. I think you're one of the most inspirational crocheters out there - your creatures have such life and imagination in them. Keep up the good work!

LucyRavenscar said...

Aww, thank you Earwig! (I like your various names, by the way). You're making me feel warm and fuzzy!

Northern Hi-Lights said...

Hi Lucy, just found your blog via ravelry, I too am an avid hooker with 2 small boys - you have given me loads of inspiration for more boy type things to create for them!!

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi Elaine, it's great that you're inspired! My boys have given me loads of ideas, it's fun to make things for them. They're not happy when I sell things though!

Anonymous said...

The spirits are so cute ^^