Sunday 8 April 2012

Mini Crochet Creatures - Baby Octopuses

Using any colour of yarn you like, make these cute baby octopuses. Choose between one with long wiggly legs, or one with short stubby little legs. For general instructions and abbreviations, please check the previous post.


Baby Octopuses

You will need:
Small amount of yarn, any colour you like.
Small safety eyes, buttons, or yarn for eyes.
Small amount of stuffing.
3.5mm (E) hook.

Special stitch instructions:
6 dc pop: popcorn stitch for short legs. Work 6 dc into 1 st, take hook out leaving loop, put hook through 1st dc & pull loop through.

Round 1: Ch 2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 st.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around - 12 st.
Round 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 6 times – 18 st.

Round 4: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st] 6 times – 24 st.
Round 5 - 8: (4 rounds) Sc in each st around - 24 st.
Round 9: [Sc2tog, sc in next st] 8 times – 16 st.

To make an octopus with long legs, follow the rest of the instructions for rounds 10 to 13 here:

Round 10: Work in FLO for whole round [Ss into next st, ch 9, miss ch next to hook, sc into next 8 ch, ss back into original st, sc into next st] 8 times - 16 st.

Fit eyes now if using safety eyes, and start to stuff.

Round 11: Sc in each of the back loops left from the previous round - 16 st.
Round 12: [Sc2tog, sc in next 2 sc] 4 times – 12 sc.
Round 13: [Sc2tog] 6 times – 6 sc. FO, leaving a length of yarn.

To make an octopus with short legs, follow the rest of the instructions for rounds 10 to 12 here:

Round 10: [6 dc pop in next st, sc in next st] 8 times - 16 st.

Fit eyes now if using safety eyes, and start to stuff.

Round 11: [Sc2tog, sc in next 2 st] 4 times – 12 st.
Round 12: [Sc2tog] 6 times – 6 st. FO, leaving a length of yarn.

Both variations: Finish stuffing. If you aren't using safety eyes, sew on or embroider eyes now. Use length of yarn to sew up hole at bottom.

14 comments:

Odd Socks said...

This is such a great pattern (I've made 3 already!) Thanks for sharing!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I'm glad you're having fun with the pattern.

Anonymous said...

love this pattern thanks!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy... Thank you so much for sharing your clever and cute patterns. I just made two of these for my cousin and his friend, and they just loved them. I really enjoyed making them as well. I imagine you've made a lot of people all over the world smile... one octopus went to Alaska, the other to Hawaii! It sounds odd, but it's true! Anyway, thank you again for your creativity and generosity. :)

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I love to hear that these patterns are enjoyed, and that they travel all over the world!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such an easy and adorable pattern- made mine with a few adjustments (I wanted longer legs), and I love 'em!

Anonymous said...

Thank so very much for sharing, I love all of your patterns and I am really going to try and make them all. Thank you again for sharing.

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I hope you have fun making them all!

animalcrazy said...

These are really cute! Thanks a lot for the pattern;O))

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks!

Kate said...

Thank you so much for your lovely patterns! I've just finished my 6th baby octopus - everyone wants one :)

Margaret said...

I love this pattern and I've made lots of these! I used this pattern for my first successful amigurumi.

Anonymous said...

Cute and easy pattern, thank you for making it free! I am making 20 of these for my daughters Year 3 class in Australia. Each class in the school has an ocean themed name and this year she is in 3 Octopuses. I want each of her classmates to have a little Octopus to keep.