Tuesday 17 April 2012

Adventure Time with Finn and Jake

I recently started watching Adventure Time on Cartoon Network UK with my boys (I only just found out we could get it on our subscription). It's a great show, suitable for kids (maybe not very young ones) and adults - the humour's fun and weird but not mean. It's set in a colourful, fantastical post-apocalyptic world with Finn, a 12/13 year old boy (the only human we know of) and Jake the dog, who is capable of stretching or shrinking to almost any size or shape. They have all sorts of adventures - Finn is pretty handy with a sword - and sing cute little songs.

I joined in with an Adventure Time swap on Craftster and made Finn and Jake for my partner (I think I'll have to remake them for my boys!).


Part of the reason I like the show is the design of the characters, and they have great shapes to crochet. Here are the originals to compare:


Finn is about 13" tall and has a backpack that opens and closes with a small button.



Jake is about 8" tall, roughly in proportion to Finn in his normal shape and size, where he still has quite long arms.




Since they both have such thin legs, it's hard to make them stand up, so I took them outside to pose them a bit. Finn's off on an adventure and Jake's hanging around in a tree.



I hope you like them, and if you haven't watched Adventure Time, give it a go!

24 comments:

Tee* said...

Ah! I'm in love. These guys are my absolute favorite ever!

Unknown said...

cute!! my son would love these! any free pattern? puhlease?

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks! I'm afraid I probably won't develop these as free patterns, but they may well end up in my Etsy shop.

Heather said...

Amazing job! You got it down! Love that show...."Regular Show" is on the same level of hilarity too (FYI)!

Anonymous said...

Any idea when they might show up in your Etsy shop? I would LOVE to buy the patterns and make them in time for a present for my husband by May 16th!

LucyRavenscar said...

I'm working on the patterns right now, so hopefully it won't be long before they're in my shop.

Esperanza✿⊱ said...

AAAAAAAA!!!!!! mi hijo y yo los adoramos, no no los perdemos, te felicito estan identicos!!!!!!!
Me encantaria hacerlos para su cumpleaños!!!!!

Un gran abrazo!!!!

wensuzette said...

Please share your pattern with us. My son would LOVE these sooo much!!!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I will let you know here when the patterns are ready.

ekeen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ekeen said...

i would LOVE to buy the pattern too! perfect gift for my boyfriend. we watch adventure time together but he is working across the country this summer. he would be thrilled to get these guys in the mail :)

LucyRavenscar said...

Just to let you know, the patterns are now up in my Etsy shop: http://www.lucyravenscar.etsy.com

KateV said...

I will most definitely be purchasing the patterns for Finn and Jake! Your patterns are always so absolutely wonderful to follow, and I have a feeling I'm going to end up making these for quite a few people! :)

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you KateV!

Waleska G said...

I would love to buy these for my boyfriend, but I don't know how to crochet... :( will you sell the finished products on etsy?

LucyRavenscar said...

I'm really sorry, but I spend all my time developing patterns and don't have time to make the finished items to sell. However, I do allow other people to sell items made from my patterns, so you might find some on Etsy.

LucyRavenscar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

How do you so neatly color change? It looks like you crocheted him in pieces and then attached them with sewing. I'm probably wrong.
Will you be making any more characters from the show? Flame Princess maybe? :P
I'll be buying these patterns in the future! They're absolutely awesome!
Do you have any plans for a book?
--Shana

LucyRavenscar said...

Hi Shana,

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! The arms and legs are each worked as one piece, I used all sorts of techniques to make the feet, socks and shorts as you go along, and the actual patterns has a neater edge to the sleeves as well. I always like to minimise the amount of sewing involved!

Emma Wilkinson said...

I'd love to see the link to your etsy shop :)

Emma Wilkinson said...

Oh, I just saw the link in an earlier comment. thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,

I brought the Jake pattern but I'm having trouble doing the fingers because I find the chain twists when putting the hook into the bottom part of the "v" (loop)
Did you do anything in particular to stop this from happening.

Maria de Fátima Garcia Vieira said...

Olá! O padrao Finn fica com 8" da cabeça aos pés ou somente o corpo?

LucyRavenscar said...

Sorry to reply so late, I didn't see your comment. Finn is about 11.5" (29cm) tall, head to toe.