Wednesday 20 October 2010

Witches and Wizards

Fantasy has always been my favourite genre of books and films, so I thought I'd design some cute lttle amigurumis of various classic fantasy characters. Given that it's nearly halloween it seemed like a good idea to start with witches and wizards.


There are lots of great books featuring witches and wizards - Terry Pratchett's Discworld books have brilliant witches like the formidable Granny Weatherwax and the young but powerful Tiffany Aching, and Unseen University is home to a wonderful collection of  bickering wizards. One of the great things about the Harry Potter books is the fun J K Rowling has with all the eccentric characters in their amazing outfits and Tolkien, of course, created a classic and iconic character with Gandalf, the archetypal old, wise wizard.


One of my favourite books when I was little was The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes (if you've never heard of it you can take a look at some of it here: http://tiny.cc/wpl9p). It has lovely line drawings by Edward Ardizzone of a little witch girl, and the most adorable witch baby, which were definitely an inspiration for my designs.


My pattern is now for sale in my Etsy shop - and with it there are instructions for all the variations to make a mini witch or  wizard (just 4.5" tall) with several different looks.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I saw this post and immediately went over to etsy and bought the pattern. I love them! Especially the Wicked Witch version. I might have to make it, like, immediately. My kids love the Star Wars guys so much, I'm sure they will be thrilled with these!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I'm really pleased that you (and your kids) like them!

Anonymous said...

they're so cute!
*squee*
what's you're inspiration for these kind of things?

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! Like I said in my post, I love fantasy books and a lot of them feature witches and wizards, usually with strong and interesting personalities. I also watch my children play computer games and the simple designs for the various cute little characters help inspire me to make these mini amigurumi.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm looking for a little wizard for my classroom and I feel in love with this little guy but Etsy says it is no longer for sale. PLEASE can I get the pattern some how. Thanks

LucyRavenscar said...

It is still for sale, the link is just out of date. Here's the new link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/63378835/pdf-of-witch-and-wizard-mini-amigurumi

Belajar HTML Canvas said...

Great blog you haave here