Saturday 5 December 2015

Crochet streamer bunting - free pattern


When my children were young and I was decorating the house for Christmas, I was happy with the Christmas tree, but I felt that I needed something up high, to really fill the room. I tried paper streamers, but they always broke and didn't last from year to year. I think I looked for crochet bunting patterns, but they were too complex for the time I had to get something done, involving making lots of small items and then joining them together. So, I came up with this very simple, very quick bunting with streamers hanging from it, in red and green, nice festive colours. You can make it any length you like, change the length of the streamers, and use whatever colours fit in with your Christmas colour scheme. Pale blue and white would give a nice frosty look, especially if you used yarn with a sparkle in it. It's easy to store and it will look great when you bring it out each year.




 
Crochet Streamer Bunting
 
You will need:
Double knitting weight yarn (cheap acrylic is fine) in two colours. How much you'll need will depend on how long you make it, but 100g ball of each should get you quite a long way.
6mm hook (US J/10)
 
Abbreviations:
ch = chain
dc = double crochet (US), treble crochet (UK)
 
Method:
Work 2 strands together to start.
Ch 48
* Using only 1 strand ch 13, turn.
2 dc in 4th ch from hook, 4 dc in next 9 ch.
Join back into the double strand by working a slipstitch with both strands.
Ch 15 using both strands*
Work from * to *, alternating which colour you use to form the spiral, as many times as necessary to fit your room.
Ch 48, Fasten off.
 
The lengths of chain at the beginning and end are long enough to make loops to go round the end of curtain poles (which is how I secure them), or tie around whatever is handy.
 


I also made some with shorter streamers (see above), to do that just substitute the instructions below into the main pattern.
* Using only 1 strand ch 10, turn.
2 dc in 4th ch from hook, 4 dc in next 6 ch.

The bunting with the longer streamers is about 17' long, and the one with the shorter streamers is about 31" long. It's a while since I made them, but I think I used about one 100g ball of each colour for each length of bunting.

For another slight variation of this pattern check this post from 2009 when I made a multicoloured version for birthdays: http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/party-time.html

 

 

2 comments:

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

Ooh, that's lovely! I think I might try it in gold and mauve tones!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! Those colours will look really good.